Healthy Living Today
Featuring a guest post by Kaitlyn Teabo. Kaitlyn is a writer for The Mesothelioma Center. She combines her interests, writing, cancer research and emerging scientific technology, to educate the mesothelioma, community about asbestos and its related diseases."
If you are battling cancer, you know that cancer treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation or tumor removal surgery are designed to guide you toward recovery, but they can also be hard on your body. Eating vegetables and an overall healthy diet is a well-known way to combat the symptoms of some cancer treatments, but maintaining a plant-based diet while undergoing treatment may be just as effective if not more effective in overcoming the effects of treatment.
Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet during Cancer Treatment
- Vegetables and fruits provide a significant amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which will strengthen your weakened immune system.
- Plant-based foods are rich in phyto-chemicals, which are naturally-occurring cancer-fighting compounds.
- Whole foods retain more of their original nutrients than their processed counterparts
- Plant-based foods are lower in saturated fats than processed foods or foods from animals.
- A plant-based diet may lower your cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- Whole grains, vegetables and fruits are a good source of fiber, which is linked to the reduced risk of cancer.